Hard money lender's 1098 doesn't match his actual received interest - is this legal?

Mount Sinai, NY |
Filed under: Small business loans

My company borrowed money on a one-year term loan from a hard money lender. He received $98,000 prepaid interest, as indicated on the closing statement. But he only declared half of that on the 1098 he sent us for the year - $49,000. Has he done something illegal here? (I believe the correct form is 1098, it may be 1099, I don't have it front of me.)

Bring it to your CPA. May depend on whether he is on a cash basis or accrual basis.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business