Harassment and Retaliation At Work

Asked over 1 year ago - Burbank, CA

I work as a software developer. I've been on the current team for about 6 months working with 2 other developers. They are very close to each other, and both are extremely arrogant and condescending. Since they are more senior, they feel it is ok to be disrespectful and rude to me--to the extent that other have overheard and commented. For the first 3 months I endured the abuse quietly, afraid to lose my job if I spoke out since my evaluations are based on their feedback. When I finally called them out, they began to be uncooperative and started (falsely) accusing me of not completing my work on time and condemning the quality of my work. I just found out I've been placed on a performance improvement plan and looks like I'm about to get fired. What are my options besides find a new job

1. Peter Joon-Sung Hong

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you have been at your job for over 6 months and can prove that work has caused you stress and that it is disabling, you may have a claim for workers' compensation benefits.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

1

Answered . Your options are very limited if you don't have an employment contract or a union agreement. The law prohibits unlawful discrimination, but personal dislike and animosity are not unlawful. Unlawful usually pertains to discrimination based on race, religion, national origin, etc. It is a sad fact that rude and disrespectful and even unkindness are not unlawful in the workplace, and under California law employees can be terminated even for erroneous reasons. If you don't think you can turn this situation around, you need to start looking to land elsewhere. I'm very sorry for such bleak news.

3. Brad S Kane

Pro

Answered . Your employer would only be liable if it failed to take action to protect your from illegal discrimination or harassment based upon race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, military service, disability, etc. or retaliation for opposing illegal conduct. However, you have not provided any facts that indicate the supervisors bad behavior is motivated by illegal discrimination.

You may wish speak to human resources about the situation, especially if person who overhead the the rude and condescending remarks will support you, and request to be transferred to work under other developers or begin looking for another job.