Had to move short notice from apartment and couldn't properly clean up the unwanted stuff out, will I be in trouble?

Framingham, MA |

Had 2 days to move out and low on funds for the move but got most of the things out. Only thing is did not have time to clean out the unwanted stuff and a few furniture pieces. I don't care bout my deposit but just worried I will be in trouble with the apartment place. Jus wanted to know what possible situations I might have to look forward with them?

You may be charged for the cleanup but you will not really be in trouble.

I agree with the previous answer. The landlord will probably retain the security deposit and probably should (but who knows if they will) hold onto the items in storage for you for about a month, if feasible. After that, they'll probably dispose of the items left behind.

Douglas Lloyd is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Answers provided on Avvo are intended for informational purposes only; they are not intended as legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. The material is presented with the understanding and agreement that I am not engaged in rendering legal or other professional services by posting it.

It depends on the terms of your tenancy

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

If you were unable to restore the apartment to reasonable, broom cleaned condition, there is not likely to be much difficultly with the landlord. Make sure you turn the keys over to landlord and surrender possession of the apartment. Do the best you can to document your surrender of the apartment and make it clear you did your best to return the apartment in good working order.

I have seen situations where if the cleaning is extensive, the landlord can take all of the money out of the security deposit and then send the former tenant a bill for the rest. Eventually, they may sue you to collect additional cleaning fees (if there are any).

Your best bet at this point is to contact your former apartment place and assure them that you are willing to work with them to solve any problems. You may have to pay some additional money for the cleaning fee, but if you show them you are willing, you likely will not get sued.

Landlord-tenant topics