Skip to main content

Had reckless driving reduced to careless driving about a year ago, but failed to complete community service hours due to my job

Medford, NJ |

I was working on my days off, and stayin late just to be able to put food on the table since I worked at a commision based job. I paid the fines on my original court day (around 1900.00$ in fines) a year ago, but that out me and my fiance in such a huge hole that I was basically paying to work for the company I was at. I finally quit that job, and about a month later received a notice in the mail calling me back go court. I had about a year to do 90 hours community service on a careless driving charge that I pleaded guilty to, but anybody in my position wouldnt of been able to either. I have no prior record, and have'nt been in any incident since then. I have a new job, and I started doing some community service hours AFTER receiving the notice. I have abouf 20-30 hours done. Any idea?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You or your lawyer can argue to reinstate the original sentence and extend your time to complete community service.

  2. you or your attorney should contact the court to restart the community service. It is likely that the place where you had to do community service has reported that you have failed to show up and referred it back to court. It is likely that there may be an arrest warrant out for you for failure to comply with court imposed penalties.
    you should consult an attorney to have your case resolved

    This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.

  3. You need to be proactive about getting done and communicate with the court. It does depend on the judge. Your attorney can argue the specifics of why and how.

    Andres Mejer 9 Memorial Parkway, suite B Long branch, NJ 07740 220 Third Street Lakewood, NJ 08701 732-962-1805

  4. I agree with my colleagues. The court likely will permit an extention after seeing a good faith effort. Good luck.

  5. I agree with the three fine NJ lawyers who have already answered.

    That you've done some of the community service will help. You should be talking with the lawyer you had on your original case. You are facing a maximum penalty for the offense of conviction.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics