Had problems at UK immigration before -- how can I avoid problems in the future? Do I have anything to worry about?

Asked about 2 years ago - Albany, NY

I am a US citizen with a "boyfriend" in the UK. I use the term boyfriend very, very loosely as we're not in any sort of committed relationship.

The 1st time I went to visit him was in Feb. 2012. I made a mistake of lying about why I was there. I messed up. After a few moments of talking to the agent, I panicked and told her that I had lied, so she pulled me to secondary. After awhile of questioning, she let me in the country.

I went to visit him again in May 2012. That time I received extra questioning but I wasnt put in secondary. i was let in.

I want to go back and see him in Jan 2013 for 2 weeks and again in July 2013 as I already have set vacations during those months. I am worried that the UK won't let me in because I visit so much. How can I avoid being denied entry?

My lie the first time I went was that I was there to visit an old friend when the truth was I was meeting someone I'd been speaking to online. It was a small, silly lie, and a bad mistake on my part. Lesson has been learned though -- never lie to immigration.

That said, I do not tell immigration that I am visiting a boyfriend. I just say that I am visiting a friend. As we are not committed to one another, that's a truthful answer in my opinion.

The last time I went, the immigration officer told me that he suspected that I was in a relationship. He asked me if there was a possibility of my friendship turning into a relationship, and I said that I didn't know because I can't predict the future. The officer said he is surprised that anyone would visit just a friend more than once a year. He kept asking about the relationship status, even after I had said he was just a friend. When I offered my friends number, he refused to call it. But, my friend would have verified what I had just told him.

1. Emily Katherine Allen

2

Answered . The attorneys here on AVVO practice US immigration law. You'll need to contact an immigration attorney in the UK to have your question answered.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Attorneys on Avvo practice US law. They cannot advise you on the laws and requirements of other countries.

You need to contact an attorney in the country in question.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Only a UK "sollicitor" can help you in UK law matters. That's not us.