Had an unusual and very serious reaction to two OTC drugs a dr. told me to take that resulted in ER visit and PTSD. Can I sue?

Asked about 1 year ago - Goshen, IN

I had a severe respiratory illness while my dr. was on vacation and I saw a covering dr. He prescribed an antibiotic and an OTC cough med and Benedryl. The two OTC meds caused an awful reaction that the ER doc likened to a heroine overdose. I was told I may have died if I hadn't gotten to the ER. I have had PTSD symptoms as a result of my near death experience. It has been a full year and I still have PTSD. Also of note, the pharmacist also ok'ed the meds and when we consulted him at the onset of the reaction, he told us to wait it out and it would pass in an hour or two - which might have been deadly had we heeded his advice. The PTSD has caused sleeping disorders which have affected every area of my life.

1. Burton A. Padove

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . The issue is whether the fill in doctor violated the standard of care in prescribing these meds to you under the circumstances. The records will need to be reviewed and medical research performed concerning the protocol for someone presenting with your symptoms. You should promptly obtain all of your medical records and contact a malpractice attorney.

Pro

4

Answered . If an individual suffered an allergic reaction after being administered a medication that he had knowledge of being allergic to, a medical negligence case can possibly be pursued. The only way to know if there was malpractice is to retain a local med mal lawyer who can order the medical records and send them to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. David J. McCormick

2

Answered . Your records will have to be reviewed by a malpractice attorney to see if there has been a violation of the standard of care. Contact a local malpractice attorney at once for a consultation.

4. Kevin Coluccio

1

Answered . You need to consult with a local medical malpractice attorney.