Skip to main content

Had a heart attack,November 16, 2013 on December 20, 2013 terminated no medical professional saying return to work not possible?

Enfield, CT |

I am 35 years old I have worked for the company for 3 years. The company was notified by my parents of my condition in person as I was on life support for a week. The company did not receive notification from any medical professional that I would not be able to return to work. Five weeks later they terminated me and canceled my insurance.

Attorney Answers 3


If your employer has 15 or more employees, you would probably be eligible for leave under the FMLA (family and medical leave act). The FMLA makes it illegal to retaliate against employees for taking medical leave. The employee is required to notify the employer as soon as practicable (obviously, you wouldn't have to do so while on life support). Your parents' notification is probably sufficient.

This also might be a disability discrimination issue depending on your condition.

Contact an employment lawyer - there might be something here.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


The ADA may protect you from discharge and impose upon your employer an obligation to accommodate your disabling medical condition, provided it has more than 15 employees. The FMLA, which potentially would afford you 12 weeks of unpaid leave, requires that you worked full-time for at least one year prior to the leave. The FMLA applies to employers with 50+ employees.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You should contact an employment attorney in your area to discuss your rights in this situation. As the other attorneys have suggested, you may have been eligible to take leave under the Family Medical Leave Act. If certain conditions are met, the FMLA provides you with up to 12 weeks of leave. At the end of that 12 week period, your employer must allow you to return to your old job, or a substantially similar job within the company.

However, like I said, the FMLA has some very specific eligibility requirements, some of which are hours worked during the last year, number of individuals employed by the company within a 75 mile radius, and even your salary in a few limited situations.

I recommend contacting an attorney in your state who is experienced in pursuing claims under the FMLA as soon as possible.

THESE COMMENTS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics