Had a fight with roommate last night while she was drunk. She fell down stairs. Blames me. I did not harm her. Can I be sued?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chattanooga, TN

She has minor injuries and scrapes but blames me because she can't remember last night. I would never purposely harm her. Could I be at fault?

I used the wrong email address.

1. Jere Franklin Ownby III

Pro

10

Answered . Yes you can be sued. Anybody can sue anybody in America.

Can you be SUCCESSFULLY sued by your roommate? I don't think so. Has your roommate told anybody else that she cannot really remember what happened? Well, there's your key witness. Your roommate is very unlikely to successfully sue you for causing her damages where (1) she does not remember what actually happened; and (2) she was drunk and fell down the stairs.

2. Russell Warren Lewis IV

Pro

9

Answered . Yes.

Pro

9

Answered . Yes.

4. Michael David Myers

Pro

8

Answered . You can be sued.

There's typically an exclusion in renter's insurance policies for coverage when injuries are caused by members of the same household.

5. Philip Anthony Fabiano

7

Answered . Sure, not only could she "try" suing you civilly, she could also try to bring criminal charges against you.
    You did not describe what you mean by "a fight." Was it a physical altercation or just verbal? At this point you should keep that answer to yourself!
    In either case--civil or criminal--she would have the burden of proof. She would have to show what you did that caused her to fall. If she cannot remember (and you do not help) then that will be a problem for her.
    You best recourse here is to smooth this over. You live with her, it's not like you can avoid her. I'm sure you are sorry for whatever happened and perhaps you can apologize for what happened without admitting anything. If you were drinking also perhaps you do not remember all the events that clearly either.