Had a emergency with pregnant wife, 8 months pregnant and police were called and I was beat up by police an hospitalized.read on

Asked 6 months ago - Alpine, NJ

Wife was all out of sorts about pain, 8 months pregnant, wife's attending physician gave us several things to do to alleviate pain. This night right after dinner wife had more pain the other nights. call police. The past year police were showing up at her job, asking her out all the time, she told me, always seemed to be on our road. She told me she said to them no everytime, but it still happen. I went to hospital, injured. $20,000 plus in bills.
I am looking for a lawyer on this matter. I dont want to give anymore details. Moved after child born in fear.
My question is what is the statue of limitations to file a suit in New Jersey?? 2 years?? 7 years?? 10 years? and my child had problems after birth because medical attention was not giving to my wife when we called for help

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Peter Joseph Lamont


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . When did this happen? You may have a civil rights claim. You need to speak with an attorney immediately to protect your rights. When suing a municipal entity or employee you need to file a notice of tort claim. It must be filed within 90 days after an incident, but can often be filed with the year if certain criteria are met.

    If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Helpful" or "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly... more
  2. Allan E Richardson

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a civil-rights claim is two years from the date of the incident. If you are making a claim under either the federal or state constitutions, there is no need to file a Tort Claims Notice. If you are making a claim under the Tort Claims Act, you must file a claim within 90 days of the incident (up to on year if you can show extraordinary circumstances). If your child has a claim, then the statute is tolled. Lawsuits against government are tough and nearly impossible without an experienced attorney. I strongly urge you to find a civil-rights attorney in your area and speak at length about your potential issues. Good luck.

    A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,818 answers this week

2,795 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,818 answers this week

2,795 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary