Habitual Traffic Offender in Colorado

Grand Junction, CO |

I got a DUI and driving on suspended in Californiawith a CA drivers license in 03 and then I moved to Colorado and got a DUI in 08 with a Colorado drivers license. The CO DMV found out and called me a Habitual Traffic Offender. I was looking up Habitual Traffic Offender in CA and I found its nothing like CO Habitual Traffic Offender taking you DL for 5 years. Can they use that when each state laws are diffrerent and dose a judge have to charge you with Habitual Traffic Offender?

It's a little difficult to understand exactly what you're asking, and it sounds if your license situation is going to be complicated in the least. If you had an attorney on the CO DUI, I suggest calling them. If not, search for a couple of DUI attorneys in your area and give them a call - most will offer free consultations. Good luck.

Ok your a DUl lawyer in CA. What's the laws about habitual traffic offender in CA and how long does the DMV take your Dl for?

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Jasen Bodie Nielsen

It doesn't sound like CA found you to be a habitual traffic offender and then took your license. Not sure how the CA law concerning your CA license would be relevant, it sounds as if you problem is with CO.

Unfortunately, under the facts you've given here, you are a Habitual Traffic Offender not just under CA law, but CO law as well. In Colorado, you can become a Habitual Traffic Offender by obtaining three major traffic convictions within a seven year period. DUIs and Driving Under Suspension or Revocation are both considered major traffic offenses. It sounds like you got three convictions in five years, which would make you a HTO under Colorado law.

Sorry I left out that In CA HTO is any two or three with in 12 months not 5 years. So in CO I'm a HTO

You may be able to restate early if the suspension was due in part to a DUI.

Having the serious traffic offenses in Colorado, and being charged with HTO in Colorado is not improper. Because this is a serious charge, and jail is a real possibility, you really need a lawyer to help you.

This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can reach Mark Solomon at (720) 722-2050 for clarifications to any answers here. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mark Solomon Criminal Defense Attorney Solomon Law, P.C. 2600 S. Parker Rd, Suite 3-134, Aurora, CO 80014 (720) 722-2050 http://www.solomonesq.com/

Traffic tickets topics