Skip to main content

H4to h1 to h4 conversion

Washington, DC |

I was in H4 status before and have H4 stamping untill oct 2013. I converted to h1 in April 2012 and currently working in US without H1 stamping. I am planning to convert back to h4, if I do so.. should I get new h4 stamping or can I reuse the same old H4 stamping in my passport while traveling to India.

Thank you for the quick response. Has couple more questions Q1: how many days would it take to convert from h1 to h4, can we do premium processing for that too? Q2: If I go to India while I am on H1, can my husband apply to h4 while I am in India? and if so, can I come back on H4 ( using the prevous h4 stamping, which is valid untill oct 2013)

Attorney Answers 3


No need to re-stamp if the H-4 in your passport is good until October 2013 ... just make sure that CBP properly lets you in ... ie: carry proof of your spouse continuing to be in H-1.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You can use your current H-4 visa but should carry copy of your husband's
H-1B approval notice with you when returning to the US

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Additionally, please keep in mind that once you leave, your husband cannot apply for your change of status to H-4 while you are in India.

Best regards,

Sergey Basyuk

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics