H4 - F1 - no physical visa in passport,only expired H4 and I-797 from USCIS,authorizing the change of Status.

Asked 3 months ago - Baltimore, MD

Came to USA on H4,converted to F1,while in the USA,no physical F1 visa in passport,only expired H4,
Have I-797 from USCIS,authorizing change of status from H4 to F1,also completing OPT end of July 2014,starting Masters in fall.
Now ,my husband and I want to visit the Bahamas,via a cruise,Can I go out and return to the USA, with the I-797,or what will I need to return to the USA, beside getting the physical visa in my passport.
Will get physical visa in December,when going to India for vacation.

1. Katie D.T. Sanders

2

Answered . You need the physical visa in your passport in order to return to the U.S. Cruise line may not allow you to board if you don't have the appropriate visa to return to the U.S. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your options.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Talk to your foreign student adviser and ask him/her if 'visa re-validation' applies.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/12...

Don't leave the US without talking to the foreign student adviser.