H1B visa transfer 3 month payroll gap- Is that a problem

Asked over 4 years ago - Warsaw, IN

I was on H1B visa with Employer 1, till May 31st and got laid off. I found a new employer who filed a transfer on Jun 22nd. Although the employer received a receipt, he insisted to wait till the final approval to start my payroll. The employer received the I-797 on Sep1st.
1) I have not been on payroll from June1st- Sep1st and still living in the country. Would that be a problem when my employer files for my green Card in the future or is this illegal?
2) If yes, is there is a solution?

Thanks much

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Stuart Jonas Reich


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Good question.

    Presumably, you and the new employer had the assistance of an attorney in filing the change-of-employer petition, and you should speak with this attorney for advice first as someone who is familiar with your case.

    It is unclear whether this new-employer H-1B was approved as an extension of stay (with a new I-94 printed at the bottom of the I-797 Approval Notice).

    If not , you are not in status now - there is no option but to depart and reenter using this new approval notice in order to be in valid H-1B status for the new employer. As long as the old H-1B had not expired, there isd no problem in leaving, and if the old visa stamp is still valid, it can still be used along with the new approval - you need not get a new H-1B stamp.

    If it was approved with the extension of your status here, you can work right away without leaving - but you are correct that it is entirely possibly that the three-month gap may come up if you file for adjustment of status in the U.S. However, a provision of law called 245(k) excused lapses such as this if for less than 180 days. It appears that this might be applicable to your situation.

    Speak to a lawyer to be certain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,656 answers this week

2,923 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary