H1B visa to F-2 Visa and vice versa

Asked over 3 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

Hi Folks,

I was on H-1B status till Aug 30 but I lost my Job. Its almost 3 weeks today from end of my visa H-1B status. I am currently looking for new jobs but no luck so far. My wife is on F-1 visa. I am thinking to change my status to F-2 visa. Please advise my below queries.
1) How much time longer can I stay on my current H-1B once I lost my Job?
2)How much time it take to transfer my status from H-1B to F-2 Visa?
3)If I get a Job during change of transfer from H-1B to F-2 process can I still able to file an application of transfer from F-2 to H-1 visa?
Any advise/experience will be highly appreciated

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gregory Romanovsky

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . In response to your questions:
    1. There is no formal grace period - you lose your status as soon as you lose your job. Although sometimes, you can get away with a small gap like this, you should be ready to go back and get your F-2 visa overseas.
    2. The application process takes a few months.
    3. Theoretically, yes. This is a very complicated scenario, however and you do need to have an attorney assisting you in the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,254 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary