H1B visa is expiring on 09/30/13. Want 2 go back 2 school on F1 Visa& how long i can attend classes after i receive I-20 ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Indianapolis, IN

My H1B visa is expiring on SEPT 30, 2013. I would like to go back to school on F1 Visa. When i can apply for F1 visa after i receive I-20? How long i can attend classes before applying for F1 Visa? Classes are starting in a Univ. on OCT 14. DO i remain out of status from SEPT 30th to OCT 13 th?What is the Procedure to apply for F1 Visa from H1B visa ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . You can apply change status from status from H-1B to F-1 immediately. However, because of USCIS processing times, if you would like to being your studies on October 13, you should return to your country to apply for an F-1 visa.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

Answered . You can file for an application for change of status from H-1B to F-1 at once. Please note, however, that USCIS typically takes 4-5 months to process such a change of status application. Consequently, if you are planning to begin your classes on October 13, then your best bet will be to fly back home and apply for an F-1 visa from the consulate there.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . My colleagues are correct ... the smart thing to do is go home to get a F visa stamp.

A COS from H to F will take too long.

4. Anu Gupta

Pro

Answered . b/w- check with the school's DSO. I think if you file a change of status from H1 to F1, the school will permit you to take classes till the F1 is approved.

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . You want to be within a legal status to transfer to F-1, better do if from the home country.

6. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

Answered . You should have two options. First you can get the I-20 and then apply for the visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate. This usually takes just a few days and should have you back in time for the start of classes. Otherwise, you will need to apply for a change of status to F-1 and wait for approval before starting classes. This can take up to six months.