Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hello, I want to apply for H1B.

If I apply for H1B Visa and if it got approval.

Can my son be able to go to school? (he is 19)
Can my daughter be able to college? (she is 17)

Private or public school or college?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, until reaching age 21, on an H-4 visa as your dependent.
    Same off daughter.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you receive an eventual approval of H1B, provided you do, your family members will be eligible for H1B dependents status and may be able to attend school. In terms of "Private or public school or college?" you are putting the cart before the horse. First make sure you receive H1B.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  3. Maria J. Marty


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you obtain the H-1B your children will be dependents on H-4 status. H4 allows dependents to study in the US. They will have to apply for admission to the school of course. That is a separate issue from whether are permitted to study based on immigration status.

    Due to the nature of this forum, I often do not have all the information required to provide legal advice.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,153 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,153 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering