H1B unused years

I have 3+ years of my H1B visa unused and I am interested to go for H1 transfer under CAP EXEMPT case. Arrived in USA - May 2006 Left USA - March 2009 I-94 valid till - Nov 2009 From March 2009 to Till Date - Outside USA I had my petition valid until 11/01/2009 but I had to leave US in March-2009 due to family issues. Now, I am interested to come back to US and work for the remaining period of my H1B visa i.e. around 3 yrs 2 months. Question: Am I eligible to use my unused period in case an employer is ready to do H1 transfer? Or do I mandatorily have to file for new H1B under CAP SUBJECT for FY 2013-14 to enter US? Thanks in advance!!! Regards, Ravi

Ether, NC -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

If you have a cap-exempt job offer, don't worry about the cap. Just have your employer file an H-1B petition on your behalf now.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

Mr. Segal is correct ... you need to look at the petition's approval date .... with that said, I suspect it was November 2006 ... putting you 'just barely' within the 6 year window.

But, your 3 year departure has the potential for re-setting things.

You need to meet with an attorney, with all your papers in-hand for a personal consultation and case evaluation. Many use Skype.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

H1B period remainder may only be claimed if the H1B petition was filed and subsequently approved, provided said approval took place within the last 6 years. When it the visa was actually used or employment started is not dispositive.

Robert Louis Brown

Robert Louis Brown

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

Your absence of more than one year may require your to file under the 2014 cap. You should meet with an immigration attorney to go through the details of your application. if you are outside the US call or email an immigration attorney to discuss.

888.861.4414
immigration@rbrownllc.com
www.brownimmigrationNC.com

Related Advice