H1b transfer

Asked over 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

I have a valid OPT till march 2014, I have approved h1b which kicks off in Oct 1 . Company who filed my visa is not able to find me a job . They left me stranded. What are my option. Can I use my unused OPT . Please provide me the solution.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Options depend on facts. Not being able to start working leaves you in F1 status until it ends.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If USCIS changed your status effective October 1, it is highly unlikely that you can continue on OPT.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues, so I would highly suggest setting up a meeting/consultation with an immigration attorney so that you can brainstorm other options based on your specific situation and credentials.

    My staff and I wish you all the best.

    Josh Sutton
    Sutton & Associates of Miami
    Immigration Law Firm
    (786) 908-8612

    The information provided here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Once you change of status is effective the OPT is not available. Before going any further confer with an immigration attorney and examine you possibilities.


    Robert Brown LLC
    1476 W. 9th Street, Suite 800
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113

  5. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To the excellent opinions by my esteemed colleagues I would only add one thing: please do not throw your future immigration benefits away by meandering in the dark-retain a good immigration counsel.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,222 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,222 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering