H1b transfer

Cincinnati, OH |

I have a valid OPT till march 2014, I have approved h1b which kicks off in Oct 1 . Company who filed my visa is not able to find me a job . They left me stranded. What are my option. Can I use my unused OPT . Please provide me the solution.

Options depend on facts. Not being able to start working leaves you in F1 status until it ends.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

If USCIS changed your status effective October 1, it is highly unlikely that you can continue on OPT.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with my colleagues, so I would highly suggest setting up a meeting/consultation with an immigration attorney so that you can brainstorm other options based on your specific situation and credentials.

My staff and I wish you all the best.

Josh Sutton
Sutton & Associates of Miami
Immigration Law Firm
(786) 908-8612

The information provided here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you have specific questions about your case, please contact our offices by calling (786)908-8612, or e-mailing

To the excellent opinions by my esteemed colleagues I would only add one thing: please do not throw your future immigration benefits away by meandering in the dark-retain a good immigration counsel.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Once you change of status is effective the OPT is not available. Before going any further confer with an immigration attorney and examine you possibilities.

Robert Brown LLC
1476 W. 9th Street, Suite 800
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Recommended articles about Employment