H1B transfer - Any forms like I-539 for H4 visa holder?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am currently on H1B visa through Company 'A' and Company 'B' has submitted my H1B transfer application.

My wife is on H4 Visa and I'm wondering if I've to fill out any legal form for my wife before I join company 'B'?

Currently, my wife's H4 visa has reference of company 'A'.

1. Ralf D. Wiedemann

1

Best Answer

Answered . If she has H-4 status already, then she doesn't need to file an I-539 just because you change H-1B employers. But if the expiration date of your new H-1B status will no longer match the expiration date of her H-4 status, then you may find it more convenient for your wife to file the I-539 seeking an extension to match your new expiration date now. Otherwise she must do so later before her H-4 status expires (or travel abroad and reenter and get a new I-94 that matches your new expiration date).

2. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . Yes you must do that.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . It is advisable, though not necessary, to do so.