H1B transfer - Any forms like I-539 for H4 visa holder?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am currently on H1B visa through Company 'A' and Company 'B' has submitted my H1B transfer application.

My wife is on H4 Visa and I'm wondering if I've to fill out any legal form for my wife before I join company 'B'?

Currently, my wife's H4 visa has reference of company 'A'.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ralf D. Wiedemann

    Contributor Level 18


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If she has H-4 status already, then she doesn't need to file an I-539 just because you change H-1B employers. But if the expiration date of your new H-1B status will no longer match the expiration date of her H-4 status, then you may find it more convenient for your wife to file the I-539 seeking an extension to match your new expiration date now. Otherwise she must do so later before her H-4 status expires (or travel abroad and reenter and get a new I-94 that matches your new expiration date).

  2. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes you must do that.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It is advisable, though not necessary, to do so.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics

H1B speciality occupation visa

If you have special skills and the right experience, you might be eligible for a H-1B visa if there is a shortage of qualified workers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,231 answers this week

3,109 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,231 answers this week

3,109 attorneys answering