H1b to F1 then back to H1b

Asked 5 months ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I'm currently on H1b and thinking to go back to school for another master program. My current H1b status will be valid through Sep 2016. If I get another job after I changed my status to F1 and need go back to H1b, do I need to wait until April 1st to file a new petition? Do I need to go through the lottery once again?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

20

Answered . No, not if your current employer is subject to the H-1B numerical cap. Please see

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . In essence, you are asking whether you would be CAP exempt in two years from now. Well, one is CAP exempt if a legitimate H1B petition was approved in the last six years immediately preceding the new employer petition, carrying his or her name in it as a beneficiary.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . I think any such transfers may be viewed as questionable. You will act wisely if you meet with the counsel of record.

4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . You don't seem to be subject to the cap, unless you exhausted all six years in H-1B status.

5. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

1

Answered . What I believe you can do is to recapture argument.