H1B telecommuting from CA and been asked to relocate in Nevada, should my boss refill H1B petition?

Asked 9 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I have H1B, and do telecommuting from California. My boss plans to open an office in Nevada and wants me to move over there.
1 - Does he need to refill H1B petition from scratch or is it a simple update to the current H1b?
2 - My boss agrees to sponsor me for green card. Does it make sense to sponsor the green card and make the move rather than updating the H1b? (I am from Europe)
Thank you.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Since the locationofyoyr job has changed, your employer needs to refile an H-1B petition

    Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response... more
  2. Habib Hasbini

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, your boss needs to refile an H1B petition.

    Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation. http://www.sandiegoemploymentlawyer.net
  3. Ekaterina L Powell

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Your employer will need to submit an amended H-1B petition noting the location change. As far as the green card is concerned, green card process is very lengthy and will not provide a quick solution. You still need to amend H-1B.

  4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . 1) Employer will seek to amend the current petition
    2) Green card (immigrant visa) process is independent of H-1B (non immigrant work visa.) Depending on the category and country of charge ability, an immigration attorney can guide your employer after a careful review of the pursing the job requirements and your qualifications.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,290 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,290 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering