H1B Remainder

Asked over 1 year ago - Indio, CA

I have a PhD degree in STEM from a US university. I had H1B visa when I worked in USA. I had H1B almost three years visa stamped on my passport: from December-30-2009 till July-30-2012.
I only used almost two years and 3 months, as I left USA to my country on leave without pay in August 2011 and then totally left my USA job on March 1 of 2012.
I have been outside USA since August 2011, more than a year. I did not use 3 years and 9 month of my H1B visa.

- Am I eligible to use the H1B remaining period (almost four years) and avoid re-applying for new H1B and be subject to cap?

- If I am eligible, does timing matter and does filing under H1B remainder happen only once a year? Or can I start working in the US any time as long as I have an employment letter?

1. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

Answered . - Am I eligible to use the H1B remaining period (almost four years) and avoid re-applying for new H1B and be subject to cap? You are not subject to the cap if the employer was not cap exempt.

Your prospective employer is required to petition for you. Once approved, you need a visa to travel to the U.S. and enter to work.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

1

Answered . Yes you are and timing does not matter in a sense that your employer can still file.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

1

Answered . Am I eligible to use the H1B remaining period (almost four years)

Yes

and avoid re-applying for new H1B

No

and be subject to cap?

You are currently cap exempt

- If I am eligible, does timing matter and does filing under H1B remainder happen only once a year?
    No

Or can I start working in the US any time as long as I have an employment letter?
    No, You need to have an approved H-1b filed by the employer you will be working for.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes. No. Yes.