H1B has been approved, can I leave U.S in Cap-Gap Status and return before September 20th?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ventura, CA

There is some emergency happened in my family, I have to go back to China now. My H1B has been approved, but my F1 visa and EAD card both are expired, I am under Cap-Gap status now. Someone told me I have to apply for new working visa, and the earliest day is 10 day before H1B become effective, which is September 20th. Is it possible that I can return to US before September 20th? Thank you !

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . If you depart the US now, the earliest you'll be able to return if your H-1B visa application will be approved at the consulate is September 20th. Not before. By law you can only be admitted into the US in a new visa classification only 10 days before the visa stamp's validity date. Not before.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . If you leave, September 20 is the earliest you can reenter the US.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

1

Answered . The actual H-1B visa can only be issued up to 10 days prior to October 1 2013.