H1b going back to school for master degree - when to stop working?

Seattle, WA |

I am currently on H1b visa, and has been accepted and issued a new I-20 for master degree starting 2013-9-11. I would like to take a break from work, preferably as soon as the law allows me.

I have an appointment with school adviser to complete the change of status form electronically on Monday. 2013-4-8.

Could anyone give me some advice on when I can stop working? Thank you kindly!

When USCIS changes your status.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

School adviser told me it may take 3-6 month until my status change is complete. Can I stop working before I hear back from USCIS?

Once your f1 is filed for a change of status and accepted, you can stop working.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Recommended articles about Immigration