H1B extension for new employer, with approved I-140

Asked over 1 year ago - Vista, CA

I am on my 7th year of H1. I have approved I140, but employer will not give approval copy of receipt copy of 140. I just have the receipt number for 140.
Is the receipt number sufficient for the new employer for filing extension?
Once my new H1 gets approved, and I submit my resignation, what if current employer revokes 140? My 485 is still not filed. What will be the consequences for that?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

2

Best Answer

Answered . No, am afraid case receipt number alone is not enough. The actual I-140 approval notice on Form I-797 must be attached to the the new H-1B petition. You will then get an approval for 3 more years (if your new H-1b will be deemed approvable on its merits.

If current employer will end up revoking the I-140 you'll have nothing to worry about, as long as your new EMPLOYER'S H-1B petition goes through and is quickly approved, which will give you 3 more H-1B years. The fact that the I-140 will later be revoked wont change that. You will then have the new employer file a new PERM on your behalf and can claim the first PERM's priority date .

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

5

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague

3. Christian Schmidt

4

1

Answered . You need the I-140 approval notice. The new employer must start green card process all over if prior employer withdraws I-140 but you will be able to recapture your former priority date.