H1B Extension (Clock Reset) possible? completed 4.5 years with L1 and H1 combined

Asked 10 months ago - Voorhees, NJ

i came to US by May 2009 in L1 visa, continued my stay here till now, got my H1 visa by oct 2013, If i go to india by April 2014 and come back to US by May 2015 will i get to stay for another 6 years? (clock reset)
what is the best option i have to continue staying here (except GC) with minimal stay outside USA

1. Ajay Kumar Arora

Answered . If the trip abroad is for less than one year, the employer can "recapture" time spent abroad so that you receive 6 aggregate years in H1B status (or combined L1/H1B status).

If trip abroad is for one year or more, the employer has the option to ask for the "remainder" of the 6 years starting from when you first received H1B (or in this case combined L1/H1B) status, or it can file a "cap subject" H1B petition (probably at the beginning of April requesting employment start date of October 01) and then a new 6 year clock for H1B status will be created. Consult with your current immigration attorney for case specific advice.