H1B expiry date in Passport, I797 and I94 is 7/21/14. My company attorney called me today and said, my max out date is 09/31/13.

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

My H1B extension was approved last year till 7/21/14 and received my I-797. After which I got new H1B visa stamped on my passport, & new I-94 when I reentered USA all valid till 7/21/14. I got an email from my company attorney that my max out date is sep/31/2013. He was the one who filed for my extension till 7/21/14 and got it approved. In his email he stated that my first H1B was issued on 10/1/07 (which is correct). My question is I have stamped visa, I797 and I94 (all legal documents) showing that my current H1B is valid till 7/21/14, in that case should I have to consider my H1B expiry date to be sep/31/13 or july/21/2014. My company is planning to file LC on Aug/1/13, if sep/31/13 is my h1b expiry date, I do not have enough time to get my LC and I-140 approved. what are my options ?

1. Michael E. Piston

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . In my opinion a person with a valid I-94 is in status until that date the I-94 expires. Sometime DHS issues forms I-94 which are valid to dates which are beyond the 6 year maximum person someone can be in H-1B status. In my opinion that doesn't change the fact that one's I-94 is valid to the date written on it unless and until the government revokes it or otherwise makes a formal finding that you are not in valid H-1B status. Based upon the facts stated you may wish to obtain a second opinion regarding your status, and if that opinion is that you may work to 7/21/14, you might be able to use it to persuade your company to continue to allow you to be employed until 7/21/14, by which time there is a good chance you will have an approved I-94. Also, even by its own terms your attorney's reported calculations seem incorrect since obviously you have been outside the U.S. for at least some period of time and therefore your 6 years in the U.S. in H-1B status will apparently expire on some date later than 9/30/31 after the days you spent outside the U.S. are "recaptured" (also there are only 30 days in September).

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Talk to that attorney in-person ... preferably face-to-face ... either live or via Skype.

He/she has the answers ... we don't.

Sorry.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

2

Answered . Call the lawyer and ask for a review. The date on the I-94 and the extension that was filed to get the new date may have included time that was recaptured or not previously spent in the US. The company attorney may not have calculated the time properly when he sent the email.