H1b Boy is going to marry US citizen girl this Jan 2013 in Maryland. Please provide the steps and required documents.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Baltimore, MD

hi .
I am on H1b visa and planning to get married USA citizen girl in Jan2013 in Maryland. What documents and applications forms are required before and after filling marriage in Maryland (Please provide me step by step info) and do i have to get the joint accounts with her and how about address proof. Do i have to change her address to my address. What other things we need to change before filling marriage and before applying for i 130 , I 485 and ..??

What if i want to file marriage in Washington, DC - is it possible?
2. How much fees in total for filing the above forms?
3. How long does it take to get a green-card and employment authorization card?
4. Should we file "One-Step" process or "Two-Steps" process? (together or separate)
5. What are necessary personal documents such as

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . ou and your wife can marry any where you want, whether DC or MD or anywhere else you choose. You will file the I-130 and I-485 packages and be assigned an interview according to your address. If you live in MD, you will be interviewed in the Baltimore office. If you live in DC or VA, in the VA office. You need to sit down with an attorney to look at everything. Yes, you need to prove a life together. This is not an easy do it yourself project when you have this many questions. I strongly suggest you at least have a consultation to go over all of your concerns. I would be happy to see you.

    Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no... more
  2. Efe Poturoglu

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues that questions you are asking are highly technical questions that are difficult to answer on a general forum like this. Each case is different and the strategy varies depending on the facts. I recommend that you at least set up a consultation with an experienced attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to go over the details.

    The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only... more
  3. Eric Elliot Ludin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The questions you are asking is exactly the type of information attorneys provide once retained. The type of personal documents needed for application and interview are often unique to the applicant. I would strongly encourage you to consult with an immigration and do it BEFORE you get married.

    You should understand that the USCIS will look at all the details surrounding your relationship and evaluate whether this is a legitimate marriage or being done for the sole purpose of adjusting your status. Considering what is at stake, you really should have an attorney. It is money well spent and less expensive than you might think.

  4. Alice Antonovsky

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a general questions forum. If you want step-by step instructions you should retain an immigration attorney who will assist you with this matter and answer all of your questions. For general information, visit: www.uscis.gov.

    The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more... more
  5. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The answers to your questions are on the website www.uscis.gov under forms and instructions. However, a lawyer with knowledge of immigration law can guide you well in filing the forms and gathering the documents necessary and advising you if there are other obstacles in your path to getting your greencard. Most lawyers charge very good rates for this service.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,792 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,792 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering