H1b approved via consular processing

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, DE

Hi,
My wife is in US on H4 Visa.
She got her H1B approved via employer A through consular processing.
Can she apply for change of status from H4 to H1B through another employer D using the same approved H1b petition and will this be cap-exempt so that she does not have to leave USA and go to our home country for visa stamping ?

1. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . It depends on why the current H-1B was approved with consular processing.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . Was she abroad when the employer sought consular processing? If she has always maintained her status then change of status is possible; but the company's immigration attorney will be in a better position to answer that after careful review of your case.

4. Haroen Calehr

Pro

Answered . Once she is approved for consular processing no not really. USCIS may have felt she was out of status for a bit and not in "authorized stay" and therefore she was approved for the petition but not for the extension of status or change of status and therefore she needs to go for visa stamping. By porting (moving) to new H-1B employer is not going to cure that previous problem. In so far as CAP vs NON CAP. If you are working at a NON CAP and you transfer to another NON CAP company/employer you are not subject to the CAP otherwise you will be.