Asked about 3 years ago - Kendall Park, NJ


My H1b visa extension got denied and my earlier visa got expired.

So how many days i can stay in US legally and if i want tog et the status , can i apply for new h1b visa / can i switch over to any another kind of visa.
Please let me know.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Eric M. Mark


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You are out of status from the day your H1B was denied. The longer you are here out of status the more difficult any future visas will be to obtain.

  2. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your are out status now and cannot extend your status or change status without leaving the U.S. and returning on a new visa. You have been accruing unlawful presence as of the denial and should leave the U.S. as soon as possible.

    This response does not contitue and attorney client relationship and attorney does not assume any liability for... more
  3. Madanmohan Singh Ahluwalia

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . My colleague is right.

  4. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree. You can go home, file a new H-1B petition and request premium processing to you can hopefully be able to return ASAP. I would also want to know why the H-1B petition was denied.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  5. Lisa Monique Okoh-Brown

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . you need to leave immediately. you have now been out of status since your last h1b expired. any days out of status hurts your chances to get future visas and you absolutely cannot apply or change to another visa in the u.s. in order to do that you need to be in a valid visa status and you are not. so you need to leave.

    Please be advised this answer is for informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,544 answers this week

3,345 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,544 answers this week

3,345 attorneys answering