H1B ( Stamped until 2014) -> F1-> H1B (Not Stamped)

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have a H1B Stamped from Employer A which is valid until 2014. I later changed to a F1 in 2011 and then after completing in 2013 am back to being an H1 with Employer B . Do I need to get my passport stamped again. I know that you dont need to get stamping done if you change from employer A to employer B. Not sure if this is true with being an F1 in between?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You only need the H-1B visa stamped on your passport if you travel outside the U.S. When you come back, you must have the correct type of visa stamped on your passport to seek admission into the U.S. If you have no plans of traveling outside the U.S., mere approval of the H-1B allows you to work legally. You can wait to work out your permanent resident status before traveling so that you won't have to deal with visa issues anymore.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more
  2. Dana T. Davidson

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Assuming that you received the change of status from F-1 to H-1B, the next time you leave the United States, you will be required to pick up a new H-1B visa at a consulate before you reenter the United States.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,540 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,540 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering