H1-H4-H1 after 6 years H1.

Baltimore, MD |

Hi,
I am in a tricky situation and hope you can help me. My 6 years of H1 will be expiring in April 2012 and I did not start my GC process as I wanted to go back. However, I was out of country for 12 months and can re-capture this time. But my employer doesn't want to file my extension now and says that re-capture is not possible (risky) in the current situation and doesn't want to start my GC process too.

Can someone please tell me:
1. Can I apply for H1 transfer with a different employer to re-capture my lost 12 months?
2. If I go on H4 in April, then can I come back on H1 in a month or 2 to re-capture my 12 months when I find a new employer?

You can change employers and recapture any time spent outside the U.S. since validity began on your H-1B. I do not see recapturing time as risky as we do so every day as long as you have sufficient evidence to prove your time outside the U.S. However, your employer's attorney has all of the details. I would recommend you consult formally with an attorney on the recapture issue.

If you, instead, choose to change status to H4 you can do so and then change status back to H-1B when you find a new employer. However, you cannot work in H4 status and, therefore, won't be able to work until your new H-1B is approved. Alternatively, if you change employers directly with your H-1B, you can begin working for the new employer upon receipt of the petition by USCIS. The change of employer petition can recapture your time.

You will need to watch your timeline extremely closely if you hope to file the Permanent Labor Certification with 365 days left on your H-1B time to allow for you to extend your H-1B time beyond 6 years. Please be mindful of that timeline and ensure that you strategically use the H4 if needed. You need Counsel to represent your interests.

2. I agree with my colleague's well reasoned opinion

www.immigrate2usa.com

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 nfleischer@immigrate2usa.com Enjoy our Blog at http://immigrate2usa.blogspot.com/

3. My colleague provides solid advice. However, I highly recommend that you speak with an immigration attorney about your specific eligiblity and plans. Since your employer has apparently indicated that he may not wish to file your extension, you may want to speak with an immigration attorney not associated with your employer.

No information contained in this message, unless expressly denoted therefor, is intended to establish any attorney client relationship. No attorney-client relationship exists between us (Peter Acker and his associates and you) unless a written retainer or fee agreement has been signed and issued to you.

4. Yes

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.