H1-B denial

Asked 5 months ago - Dallas, TX

Hi
My H1-B transfer application has denied and I am married to a US citizen. Will appreciate if you can answer my questions below: Don't have patience to wait to hear back from my lawyer.. Thank you so much for your quick response.
1. Can I stay in states based on my marriage ? If not, do I have to go back to my home country ?
2. Can I reappeal the case ? If yes, can I keep working for the same organization ?
3. If I file my GC right now, how much time will it take to get my EAD ?

Thanks, Archana Shah

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Hello Archana,
    1. Great news! You absolutely can. Spouses of US citizens are deemed to be "immediate relatives" ("IRs"). IRs are not required (or expected) to maintain valid non-immigrant status. Also, any IRs are never penalized for any previous periods of unauthorized employment. Your spouse can immediately sponsor you for the Green Card. If everything is done correctly the first time, you should obtain your GC in 6 months or less! You will not have to leave the U.S., unless you'll later want to, with a green card in your pocket..
    2. Why would you want to after what I explained in 1. above? You can continue to work with the same employer if he is not afraid to employ you without authorization (you are an IR, but it is the employer who risks "sanctions" and "penalties" for knowingly employing someone who is no longer authorized. Once you file for your marriage based I-485, however, which could be next week, as soon as you have your medical results in your hand and your spouse completed the I-130 and the I-864 Affidavit of Support on your behalf, you yourself will be filing for a work permit at the same time, on Form I-765, which is normally issued within 2-3 months. You can legally resume working then.
    3. As explained in 2. above, 2-3 months from filing.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Invite your spouse to a fascinating visit of the local immigration attorney's office. It might answer a lot of questions, assuage fears and concerns and believe it or not, even help with your situation. It will not be free as posting on AVVO. Well, but it might bring realistic practical assistance to your cause.

3. J. David Swaim Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You should immediately file based on your marriage and I assume you last entered the US legally so the case will be processed in the US and you will have work authorization in 60-90 days. And you need a new lawyer immediately as well.

4. Karin Wolman

Pro

2

Answered . 1. Marriage by itself confers no immigration status: your USC spouse must file a petition for you & you must file for adjustment of status based on that petition.
    2. Appeal from denial of an H1B petition must be filed by the employer, not the beneficiary, and a pending administrative appeal confers no current visa status nor work authorization while pending.
    3. If your application is complete & properly documented, about 4 months.

5. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

1

Answered . 1) You can stay based on a one-step filing (I-130/ I-485 packet)
    2) You cannot appeal the H-1B denial, only the employer can.
    3) 90 days from filing the correct packet with all the requisite forms.