H&R block sent my taxes to the wrong account..

Des Moines, IA |

I had H&R block do my taxes this year , on Jan. 17th 2013, and filed them electronically. I was supposed to receive them into my in 21 days. I had claimed the school credit and they said the IRS was having problems with this credit so i had to wait until March 20th, 2013. On March 21st i received an email and a text from the IRS saying that it was deposited into my account but as of March 25th, 2013 it still wasn't in my account. I called my bank and discovered that H&R Block forgot to put the last 2 numbers of my account on the form to have it electronically deposited, so it was sent to the wrong account. I have called the IRS and my bank is aware of it. My question is can i sue H&R block for misplacing my refund? My account is in the hole now because i was anticipating it to be in there.

A class action has been filed against H&R Block:

The lawsuit is for faulty filing of tax returns. Next year, you might want to consider a non-franchise tax preparer of CPA.

I suggest you call 1 800 HRBLOCK and file a complaint with them. They will process it and follow-up with the local office.

Good Luck!

Ron Cappuccio

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.

Yes you can sue H&R Block. However, your money damages are only the time cost of money: the interest you would have earned had you gotten your return on time. That's not going to amount to much.