H&R block sent my taxes to the wrong account..

Asked almost 2 years ago - Des Moines, IA

I had H&R block do my taxes this year , on Jan. 17th 2013, and filed them electronically. I was supposed to receive them into my in 21 days. I had claimed the school credit and they said the IRS was having problems with this credit so i had to wait until March 20th, 2013. On March 21st i received an email and a text from the IRS saying that it was deposited into my account but as of March 25th, 2013 it still wasn't in my account. I called my bank and discovered that H&R Block forgot to put the last 2 numbers of my account on the form to have it electronically deposited, so it was sent to the wrong account. I have called the IRS and my bank is aware of it. My question is can i sue H&R block for misplacing my refund? My account is in the hole now because i was anticipating it to be in there.

1. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

3

Answered . A class action has been filed against H&R Block:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2013...

The lawsuit is for faulty filing of tax returns. Next year, you might want to consider a non-franchise tax preparer of CPA.

I suggest you call 1 800 HRBLOCK and file a complaint with them. They will process it and follow-up with the local office.

Good Luck!

Ron Cappuccio

2. Bruce Givner

2

Answered . Yes you can sue H&R Block. However, your money damages are only the time cost of money: the interest you would have earned had you gotten your return on time. That's not going to amount to much.