H&R block sent my taxes to the wrong account..

Asked almost 2 years ago - Des Moines, IA

I had H&R block do my taxes this year , on Jan. 17th 2013, and filed them electronically. I was supposed to receive them into my in 21 days. I had claimed the school credit and they said the IRS was having problems with this credit so i had to wait until March 20th, 2013. On March 21st i received an email and a text from the IRS saying that it was deposited into my account but as of March 25th, 2013 it still wasn't in my account. I called my bank and discovered that H&R Block forgot to put the last 2 numbers of my account on the form to have it electronically deposited, so it was sent to the wrong account. I have called the IRS and my bank is aware of it. My question is can i sue H&R block for misplacing my refund? My account is in the hole now because i was anticipating it to be in there.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ronald J Cappuccio


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A class action has been filed against H&R Block:

    The lawsuit is for faulty filing of tax returns. Next year, you might want to consider a non-franchise tax preparer of CPA.

    I suggest you call 1 800 HRBLOCK and file a complaint with them. They will process it and follow-up with the local office.

    Good Luck!

    Ron Cappuccio

    If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary... more
  2. Bruce Givner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes you can sue H&R Block. However, your money damages are only the time cost of money: the interest you would have earned had you gotten your return on time. That's not going to amount to much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,116 answers this week

2,289 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,116 answers this week

2,289 attorneys answering