Guy was not cited for pinning my 16 yr.old daughter (pedestrian) between his truck an the car in front while stopped at redlight

Asked almost 2 years ago - New Smyrna Beach, FL

this guy pinned my daughter, got out of his truck pressuring her to answer if she was ok, got back in his truck and left the scene after being told by the adult that was with her and the people from the other car to stay and give information and that the police were being called. The other driver went after him to get his tag # and gave it to the police. The police went to his house but did not cite him for anything untill I complained to the city manager. They gave him a ticket for failure to give information, I complained again and they gave him a ticket for careless driving but they will not give him a ticket for leaving the scene. How is this possible when he was told to stay but chose not to. They say it is because her injuries were not apparent (she was unable to place weight on it)

1. David Irving Shiner

Pro

5

1

Answered . Please make sure your daughter gets immediate and competent medical attention immediately. Afterwards, please call a personal injury attorney to discuss your options. Please visit my website to learn about my firms practice. In addition, if you should need assistance please reach out to me anytime. I hope she feels better soon.

2. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . How do the police recommend that criminal charges be filed against someone?
    A. Criminal cases go through a screening process before a defendant faces charges in court. This is a two-step process that begins with the police inquiry. The investigating officer (or another officer superior to the arresting officer) will review the arrest report. That officer will determine whether there is enough evidence to recommend filing charges against the arrested person. If the officer decides not to recommend filing charges, then the police will release the arrested person from jail.
    If the officer decides to recommend that a charge be filed, a prosecutor (usually from the prosecuting or district attorney's office) will review the officer's recommendation. Based on the arrest report and any follow-up investigation, the prosecutor's office will decide whether to file charges and what criminal offenses to allege. These allegations will appear in a complaint (affidavit or information) filed in the court clerk's office.
    Who Exercises Discretion
    These criminal justice officials must often decide whether or not or how to:
    Police
    • Enforce specific laws
    • Investigate specific crimes
    • Search people, areas, buildings
    • Arrest or detain peopleHow do the police investigate crimes?. When the police receive a report of a crime (such as a home burglary in progress), they send investigating officers to the scene as soon as they can. If the officers arrest a suspect, they will transport that person to the police station for booking. The officer will write an arrest report, detailing when and why the officer went to the scene, along with any observations, and why the officer arrested the suspect. The officer also will fill out a property report, detailing what items (for example, drugs or cash) the police found on the suspect during booking. The officer also will list any items of evidence found at the scene, such as tools the suspect might have used to gain access to the home.
    If the crime is complex or serious, the police then assign an investigating officer (usually a detective) to the case. That officer will make a return visit to the crime scene, look for more evidence, and interview any other witnesses. If the police have not arrested anyone, the detective will analyze the evidence and try to narrow down the list of suspects. The detective will question suspects and sometimes will obtain a confession.

3. John Gus Zgourides

5

Answered . Hire a local personal injury lawyer immediately!

4. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

The tickets issued to the adverse driver should be of less concern than seeing to it that your daughter is appropriately treated medically and that the adverse party compensates her for her injuries. The tickets are generally not admissible against the adverse driver should you bring a personal injury claim on your daughter's behalf. Speak with an attorney ASAP.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.