Skip to main content

Guilty/ not guilty

Hamilton, OH |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I was summoned for stealing from Khols, I left the scene. I do not have funds to hire a personal attorney, I need to know wether I should just plea guilty and then see if there is an option for diversion because this is my first offense and I was scared. I really need to know what to do. Will I go to jail?!!!? I was so stupid.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Not all courts have a diversion program and the ones that do control the requirements for acceptance into that program. If this is your first ever offense I suggest you contact the public defender's office and discuss your case with them. If you are in a court that requires you to plead not guilty first then I would suggest you show up to arraignment and see if you are offered a diversion program and if so you can make that decision at that time. Otherwise you should plead not guilty and request an attorney.

    Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    1370 North Fairfield Rd.
    Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
    (937)426-4000 phone
    (937)426-4444 fax

    The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

  2. In order to make a free and voluntary decision upon an educated legal advice by a local criminal counsel on" the need to know whether I should just plea guilty and then see if there is an option for diversion", you must discussing the plea with either a Public Defender assigned to your case upon request if you are truly indigent or a criminal law attorney in Ohio.
    It is unlikely you will "go to jail" as a first time offender for a petty theft from Khol's, yet, there is a very strong change of messing up your entire employability and educational future with a reckless plea. Do not plead to anything without a counsel's advice ever.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. As attorneys we never advise that you 'just plea guilty'. In many circumstances judges won't even allow you to do so without at least appointing an attorney. Typically you need to negotiate to get a diversion program and in my experience in Michigan if you just plea without a conference of some sort you will waive your right to get a better deal down the road. Hire an attorney or at least have one appointed. My theme on these threads is pay now or pay later. This is a theft offense, a crime of dishonesty, that you can probably resolve in a manageable way with a lawyer. Do what you can to avoid this following you around for the rest of your days. The small investment now is worth it. I agree with what other counsel has posted on this thread. Good luck.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics