Guidance on USCIS FOIA request?

Austin, TX |

I am trying to obtain some kind of documents showing that some i130 petitions for alien relative were accepted when filed in the early 90s. (Or any documents that could help for section 245i) I’ve been told that the best thing to look for is a receipt notice for those petitions. If I were to submit a FOIA request to obtain this type of documents what should I select? Complete alien file? Or should I enter a specific description? Also, should the request be done under the petitioner or the beneficiary?

You should request a copy of the complete alien file. It is best to request both the petitioner's and beneficiary's alien file.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

Request the copy of the " entire file in USCIS' possession". Reason: "to obtain immigration benefits".

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.