Skip to main content

Grounds/Regulations for a step parent adoption... Help!

Vestal, NY |

My daughter is now 6, her bio-logical father, we were never married, has not seen her or even attempted to make contact since she was 7 months old. He never even showed up for the sole custody hearing. he knows we have lived in our home now for 2 years which is only 9 miles from where he lives with his parents. I have been married to my husband now for 4 years and he has been in my daughters life since she was a baby. The only support received is court ordered, coming directly from his paycheck at $22/week, it wouldn't come if it was not taken directly out, its been 2 months w/o any payments. She wants to know why her last name is different than her sisters and ours, very saddening. She only knows my husband as her Dad, as he has been there. Do we have grounds for the adoption??

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It will be difficult for the step-parent to adopt the child without the consent of the biological father or if the father appears in the proceeding and contests the adoption. You can petition in Family Court or Surrogates Court and the biological father will have to be given notice. If the child is adopted this will terminate the biological parents parental rights such as visitation and the obligation to pay support and he can take the step-father's last name. What you're seeking to do is possible, but tricky, depending on how the biological father reacts and his desires. Retaining a Family Court lawyer familiar with adoption procedures would be very helpful here.

    This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

  2. You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a New York domestic relations attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible.

  3. I respectfully disagree with the other poster - on the facts you've presented, it appears you clearly make a cause of action for abandonment, which is the most common ground for a step-parent adoption. Thus, I encourage to you follow-up with a Family Law attorney in your area, particularly one with experience in adoption cases.

    * If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics