Greencards for sibling and his family

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am a US citizen and would like to apply for Greencards for my brother and his family who live in Brazil. I've heard it is faster if they are in the US (they come to visit twice a year, on vacation). Would it be faster if I applied for Greencards for my parents, and have my parents apply for my brother and his family?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

1

Answered . The waiting time for your brother and his family to get green cards through you is about 12 years. through your parents, it will take even longer.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

6

Answered . Immediate relative petitions (for parents) are not subject to priority dates and so the parent may be able to adjust immediately. However siblings are subject to priority dates. They cannot overstay their visitor visa and adjust status. Immigration procedures are complicated and can be confusing. It is best to consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

5

Answered . If your brother is married, your parents could not file for him until they became US citizens. The best bet is for you to file for your parents and for your brother as visa priority date progression is always changing. If your brother is in the US and overstays his visa he will not be allowed to adjust his status. Meet with an attorney to discuss how best to bring your family here

4. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . I agree with all of my colleagues. You will note that they each point out different issues/problems.

You should meet with an attorney to get a good 'personal' plan.

5. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.