Skip to main content

Green card without employer for L1A

Atlanta, GA |

I am currently on L1 A expiring in March 2013. Entered US in mid 2006 on L1 B(converted to L1 A in 2008). My company won't file for my green card and asked me to return back to my country in March.
Is there any legal option for me to apply for a green card my self- I heard about some immigration reform coming up in March this year.
I am with my family here - wife on L2 visa, son (2 yrs old) and is a US Citizen

Attorney Answers 3

  1. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm going to advise you to consult an immigration lawyer in order to determine whether you qualify for self-petitioning.

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

  2. I agree with my colleague.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics