Green card waiting period

Asked 10 months ago - Berkeley, CA

I am an Indian citizen and my spouse is Canadian. Currently I am on dependent visa under my husband visa category and have an open work permit( E2 dependent) working as financial analysis. I have heard that there is 5 years waiting period for green card to become current if you are Indian citizen. I have already applied for Canadian citizenship which I should be getting within next 10-12 months. I just would like to find out if there is different waiting time period for Canadian citizen as supposed to Indian citizen to get US green card. If my company applies for green card right now based on my current status as an Indian citizen. Can I switch it later under Canadian citizen category to skip waiting time period for green card that they have for Indian citizen.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

5

Answered . If your spouse was born in Canada, you can use Canada as your country of chargeability when you immigrant to the U.S.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

Answered . If your spouse is born in Canada, you can seek Canada as your country of charge ability right away which will speed up the process tremendously.