Green Card via Marriage, then divorce, now marriage again to US citizen

Asked over 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

Hello I came here from Pakistan 10 years ago, on a B1 Visa, to be with my husband in Chicago. I found out that my husband, a US citizen at that time, had married another woman. This was very bad news for me, but my husband finally did sponsor me for a green card (bc we had kids together, and he wanted me to be close to them, and we were still married) which I received about 4 years ago. However, we officially divorced in 2008, and in November 2009, I remarried to a US citizen. My question is this - When can I file for US citizenship? After 5 years, so one year from now? And does my divorce and subsequent remarriage affect this? Please help, thank you so much.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lisa A. Tehlirian


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally, a U.S. Permanent Resident is eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization 5 years after he/she obtains Permanent Resident status, or 3-years if the applicant is and has been living in a valid marital union with a U.S. citizen for 3-years preceding the filing of the application.

    I would advise consulting with an immigration attorney prior to filing for naturalization, to review your immigration history, as well as to establish you meet the statutory requirements for naturalization.

  2. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would definitely consult an attorney. How did your ex-husband file for you if he was married to another woman? If he had a bigamous marriage , you may not have been "lawfully admitted as a permanent resident" , which is a requirement for citizenship

    This could be a major problem which could result in your removal (deportation) from the US

    Note: The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.

    Best regards,
    Neil I Fleischer
    The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC
    917 Main Street
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314
    Direct telephone: 513 977 4209
    Toll Free: 1-888-523-8088
    Check out our blog for a humorous but informative look at immigration law
    http://immigrate2usa.blogspot com

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,286 answers this week

3,103 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,286 answers this week

3,103 attorneys answering