Green card through marriage while Green card through employment in process

Asked 12 months ago - Dallas, TX

My fiance (Citizen) and I plan to get married later next year. I have not revealed this plan to my employer for various reasons.

My employer was insistent upon starting the green card process. So they have started step-1 of the process (labor certification).

Once we get married and I file for green card through marriage and get it, what happens to the green card through employment that is in process (maybe at step-2 then)?

Thanks

1. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Depends on the stage. But basically, nothing happens. You can have both processes. The adjustment through your spouses will be much faster. But maybe you should speak with your employer to prevent dual filings and unnecessary costs and expenses. Definitely work with an attorney.

2. Ekaterina L Powell

3

1

Answered . Your employer can then withdraw the case since pursuing the process through employment will no longer be needed.

3. Stephen D. Berman

1

1

Answered . It depends on what you mean by green card process. If the employer has filed an I-485, you should not need another one for the visa your wife files. Get a lawyer to help you, the details are quite important.