Skip to main content

Green card through marriage while Green card through employment in process

Dallas, TX |

My fiance (Citizen) and I plan to get married later next year. I have not revealed this plan to my employer for various reasons.

My employer was insistent upon starting the green card process. So they have started step-1 of the process (labor certification).

Once we get married and I file for green card through marriage and get it, what happens to the green card through employment that is in process (maybe at step-2 then)?


Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Depends on the stage. But basically, nothing happens. You can have both processes. The adjustment through your spouses will be much faster. But maybe you should speak with your employer to prevent dual filings and unnecessary costs and expenses. Definitely work with an attorney.

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  2. It depends on what you mean by green card process. If the employer has filed an I-485, you should not need another one for the visa your wife files. Get a lawyer to help you, the details are quite important.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. Your employer can then withdraw the case since pursuing the process through employment will no longer be needed.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics