Skip to main content

Green Card related problems with my spouse

Milpitas, CA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

My spouse and I have lived in separate countries for 14 months of 16 months & only lived together for about less than 2 months on vacation only . During that time I processed her green card . Our marriage was done as per Islamic values . We have been fighting for past 12 months of our marriage and is escalated to the point of divorce which i have already filed herein California . My question is pertaining the green card . She gave her green card interview in Dec 2012 and I gave her verbal indication for divorce in Jan 2013 as per Islamic values . At this point , she was still living outside USA . As soon as I gave her verbal divorce as per Islamic values , she flew to USA on her own . My question is is there a way to cancel her green card and how can that even happen .

Attorney Answers 4


If you live in the U.S., you need to divorce her according to applicable state laws.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

16 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Mark as helpful

12 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


You really need to consult an immigration lawyer and a divorce lawyer

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with the other attorneys. You should contact an immigration attorney in your area to further review the details of your situation and see what can be done.

LORIC, Immigration Solutions

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel: 650-279-5933

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics