Green card question

Asked over 1 year ago - Coral Gables, FL

Hi I am a cuban political refugee and a US Perm resident holder have been for the last 3 years. I have married a foreign girl 2 years ago and have had a long distance relationship but I want her to join me in the USA what is needed?

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

1

Answered . You will need to file a petition for your wife. This process can take 3-4 years so you are behind if you married 3 years ago. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advise on how best to proceed.

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

2

Answered . You'll need to file an I-130 visa petition on her behalf and prove that you are in a real marriage (and not one only for an immigration benefit). Upon approval of the I-130, the National Visa Center will ask you for some fees and some more documents from her and an affidavit of financial support. Upon submission, she'll have an interview scheduled and hopefully be approved to enter as a green card holder. I suggest you retain counsel as there will be some bumps along the road and you'll want to ensure these are met with the appropriate responses.

3. Kristin D Figueroa-Contreras

Answered . As my colleagues mentioned, you would have to file an I-130 petition for her and then wait for her visa number to be available. Once you have been a permanent resident for 5 years (based on the date on your permanent resident card), you would be eligible for US Citizenship. Once you take the oath to naturalize as a US Citizen, you would be able to upgrade the I-130 petition to the ¨immediate relative¨category. If your wife is present in the US at that time, she would be able to immediately file for adjustment of status (green card). Otherwise, you can also bring her over on a K-3 (spouse of US Citizen) nonimmigrant petition while the I-130 is pending.

If you obtained your permanent residence under the Cuban Adjustment Act (CU6 category), and your foreign, non-Cuban wife were physically present in the US for a year and a day, she would be able to file for adjustment status as a CU7 spouse under the Cuban Adjustment Act.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.