Green Card processing time for DUBAI , UAE born Indian citizen

Austin, TX |

Dear Gurus,
I'm an Indian citizen but born and raised in Dubai, UAE. My elder brother is a US citizen and he'll apply for my Green Card processing soon.
My question is whether the processing time will be shorter because I'm born in Dubai, UAE as it falls under different country because I heard in US they process your application by your place of birth not by your passport.
Can anyone kindly confirm ? Thanks

Regards,

Country of birth in the siblings category is not expected to have a great effect, unless the quota for a certain country were to become over subscribed in that particular category.

Fr Indians it is in the employment based GC category that the country of birth makes the most difference.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Dear Behar, Thanks for your valuable suggestion, I really appreciate it , so you mean to say my place of birth (DUBAI,UAE) won't make any difference speeding up the immigration process ? it'll only help if I were on H1B visa in US right ? Thanks

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Right. A different place of birth will make a difference in the employment based category, mostly in the EB-2 category where while current for the rest of te world, it is severely backlogged for India and China.

Dear Behar, Thanks for clearing my doubt, I really appreciate it :)

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

You're very welcome!! Don't forget to designate a "Best Answer" to this question.

It makes no difference in your case ... it is 12+ years for both India and the UAE ... only Mexico & the Philippines have worse situations.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Dear Capriotti, Thanks for your valuable inputs, it really helped :).....anyway I'm not in a hurry , I guess I can wait till my time comes.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

You might want to consider alternatives, such as an employment sponsor, if you have a college degree. Many of us use Skype for consultations, should you wish to explore alternatives.

I agree with both of my colleagues.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Dear Alexander, Thanks for endorsing the comments of your colleagues, I appreciate your help. Regards,

Recommended articles about Immigration