Green Card lottery requirements

Asked over 1 year ago - Boca Raton, FL

Hello,
My friends won a green Card lottery last year and plan to move permanently in 4-5 years. What is a required length of time they have to be in USA, so they would apply for citizenship later?
Also, their son is 18 years old, does he have to register with Military records in USA?
Thank you.

Thank you for the fast responses. I just wanted to clarify a few things:

My friends already got a Green Card and SS cards on hand, and they've been once in US last year.
How many months minimum they have to reside in USA before they can apply for US passport? They plan to move permanently in 4-5 years.

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

Answered . The person who won the green card has deadlines to comply with. If he/she does not file paperwork on time and move to the US, he /she will lose the green card. Also, to qualify for citizenship, a permanent resident has to reside in the US for 5 years, and be physically present for at least half of this time.

2. Brian David Lerner

Answered . Winning the Green Card Lottery and getting the Green Card are two different things. One cannot simply win the lottery and then decide to apply for the the Green Card in a few years. He or she must move quickly to secure their spot. Once the Green Card is given, it will be 5 years before applying for citizenship assuming the person qualifies.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The majority of the time.