Green Card Interview- was my I-485 rejected?

Rockville, MD |

I just came from my green card interview and I don't know what to think. I've been with my husband for 7 years, (we are married for 7 months). He is US citizen, We brought bills, pictures, and all required documents but officer took my passport, made a copy and told me that she can't give me an answer if I was approved or not and I will get written answer within 3 months. That worries me a lot. can I be rejected? My friend just came back from her interview and they told her on the spot (like 2 other friends). If they don't want to give me an answer does it mean that I was rejected? Why some officers give an answer on the spot and others don't?

1. If USCIS have some concern in your case, they will issue you a request for evidence. It is unlikely that they will deny your case outright.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

2. Hard to say but 3 months does seem like an excessive wait. Maybe they are conducting an investigation?

3. Baltimore does not usually give answers on the spot, as they have a supervisor review the decision. I would be happy to meet with you and your husband to discuss your situation and what potential issues you may have. But the fact that they did not approve at the interview does not necessarily mean there is a problem. If they have doubts about the legitimacy of your marriage, they will schedule you for a second interview where you and your husband will be questioned separately, and you DEFINITELY want to have an attorney if that happens.

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.

Marriage and prenups topics