Green card holder, didnt do Taxes for my first 2 years because only worked for 2 months, problem applying for US citizenship?

Santa Rosa, CA |

in my first 2 years as a green card holder i only worked for a couple months, and when i went to do my taxes of all my 5 years togheter they told me that since i didnt work that much and being more than 3 years passed it didnt matter. for the resting 3 years and so far i have all my taxes, is it goin to be any problem when i will apply for my citizenship??

So long as you were not required to file tax returns, you should be okay

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

One of the questions on the naturalization application is whether or not you ever failed to file required taxes since becoming a permanent resident. If the truth is that you were not required to file taxes in those years in which you did not, then the fact that you did not file them will not be a problem. On the other hand, if you were required to file them, then it likely will be a problem. You should meet with an attorney about the issue.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Depends on whether you were required to file or not.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law