Green card holder, didnt do Taxes for my first 2 years because only worked for 2 months, problem applying for US citizenship?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Rosa, CA

in my first 2 years as a green card holder i only worked for a couple months, and when i went to do my taxes of all my 5 years togheter they told me that since i didnt work that much and being more than 3 years passed it didnt matter. for the resting 3 years and so far i have all my taxes, is it goin to be any problem when i will apply for my citizenship??

1. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Answered . So long as you were not required to file tax returns, you should be okay

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Depends on whether you were required to file or not.

3. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

Answered . One of the questions on the naturalization application is whether or not you ever failed to file required taxes since becoming a permanent resident. If the truth is that you were not required to file taxes in those years in which you did not, then the fact that you did not file them will not be a problem. On the other hand, if you were required to file them, then it likely will be a problem. You should meet with an attorney about the issue.