Skip to main content

Green card for first-degree relative

Cleveland, OH |

I am a widow, and my sister is going to take her citizenship, then she will apply for green card for my mom, can my mom after taking her green card, apply for me to get a green card at once ? meaning am I considered as the unmarried woman or do I have to wait till she takes the citizenship? knowing that I have children less than 21 years. Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Yes she can


A US citizen may petition their sibling for immigration benefits. However the wait time for a visa maybe as long as 10 to 12 years.

If your mother becomes a permanent resident of the United States she can file a petition on behalf of an unmarried children over the age of 21. This process also requires a significant time for a visa to be available.

I recommend consulting with an experienced immigration attorney to review your situation.

Disclaimer: Salvatore A. Falletta - 201 438-5625: This answer found here is general in nature. No attorney/client relationship is formed from this response.


The process you are talking about could take a very very long time, but in theory it is possible

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


The simple answer is yes, your mother could apply for you, but the wait to become a permanent resident would be many, many years. Alternatively, you sister could apply for you, but again, the process would take many, many years. I suggest consulting with a local immigration attorney to see if there are any other options available to you.


Both your sister and your mother (once she has the green card) can petition for you. Both will take many years, however, for visas to become available.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Either of them could petition for you however it is not ideal as the process could take a decade or more. It would be best to talk to an immigration attorney to see if there are any other options you could explore.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer